Alpaca Fleece Buyers
Waratah Alpaca Fibre purchases both Huacaya and Suri fleece. All fleece is sorted and classed based on the Australian Alpaca Association Alpaca Fleece Classing Code of Practice. The Co-Op uses the following lines and growers fibre is valued accordingly :
• Sheer Ultra (SU) less than 17 micron (˂16.6µ)
• Ultrafine (UF) 17 - 18 micron (16.6 - 18.5µ)
• Superfine (SF) 19 - 20 micron (18.6 - 20.5µ)
• Fine (F) 21 - 24 micron (20.6 - 24.5µ)
• Medium (M) 25 - 28 micron (24.6 - 28.5µ)
• Strong (S) 29 - 36 micron (28.6 - 36.5µ)
• Extra Strong (XS) greater than 36 micron (>36.5µ)
• White (WT) - white or off white with no contaminating colour
• Light Fawn (LF) - light fawn and white/off white with odd fawn/brown fibres
• Fawn (FN) - medium fawn
• Brown (BR) - dark fawn, light/medium/dark brown
• Rose Grey (RG) - light/medium/dark rose grey
• Grey (GY) - light/medium/dark grey
• Black (BK) - brown/blue black
All fleece will be accepted by the Co-op however, to obtain the best price for saddle fleece and good pieces, it is strongly recommended that these be adequately skirted to remove course fibres and vegetable matter. Growers will be charged for additional skirting that may be required.
The Waratah Alpaca Fibre Fleece Manual has been developed to assist producers in maximising the value of their fleece.
Detailed Guidelines for Fleece Preparation is available for growers requiring further assistance in preparing fleece for delivery.
For enquiries concerning the Co-op's fleece preparation quality control requirements producers should email email@example.com